Humor Skills — Creating Funny Lines

This may look like a joke contest.  But it’s so much more.  It’s an exercise to stimulate your creativity. 

You enter the contest not for the sake of writing jokes.  Your primary goal in the contest is to sharpen your way of thinking and to become skilled at seeing humorous relationships.  Writing funny lines is like doing crunches at the gym.  When you go to the gym, the ultimate goal isn’t the crunches, the stretching and the repetitions you do.  Your goal is to improve the way you look and feel.  And so it is with a humor contest.  It’s the equivalent of going to the gym.  It will sharpen your mind and the way you see the world.

I’d encourage you to take the humor challenge on the first of each month.  Always remember, it’s not about the jokes.  It’s not about winning.  It’s not about the prizes (there aren’t any).  It’s about growth.  Even if you set aside just 20 minutes each month to focus on your creative writing, it will payoff in the long run.

**THE CONTEST**

Our humor skills feature this month is the Psychic Professions Contest.  Ask yourself, What if members of a certain profession or group were psychic?  What would they do differently?  What would they no longer do?  What would they say?   How would their relationships with other people change?  How would life be different?

Here are some examples of what your lines might look like.

If Blind Dates were psychic…99 percent of first meetings would never happen and the other 1 percent both dates would bring brochures for planning their honeymoon.

If Marriage Counselors were psychic…on some of their initial counseling sessions, their opening line would be, “I’ve completed the divorce papers, sign here.”
 
If Dog Trainers were psychic…you would overhear them say to a dog, “Yes, I know it’s stupid.  Just humor me.  Roll over.”

If Psychics were psychic…they would be winning the Power Ball Lottery instead of selling you readings for $60.

If You were psychic…(well, you already know the punchline)
 
If Spouses were psychic…you’d often hear, “Stop thinking at me like that!”

If the editor of the Humor Power Blog were psychic…he wouldn’t ask you to send in your funny lines, he’d already know what you were going to submit.

Our September contest was a theme suggested by Steve and Erin Pavlina.  You’ll enjoy their Blogs:  www.StevePavlina.com/blog and www.ErinPavlina.com/blog.

To Enter the Psychic Professions Contest:

1.  Reflect and write.  Don’t worry about quality.  You can edit and refine your lines later.

2.  Find a humor buddy to help you massage your lines.

3.  Sleep on it.  Rewrite the next day.

4.  Select your best lines and submit to HumorPowerTips@aol.com not later than September 15, 2006.

5.  The best lines will be published by the end of the month.  It’s all about fun, growth and recognition.