Humor in the Workplace—Brightening
You can do things to make your breakroom an energizing place
to recharge your batteries.
Can you escape everyday work pressures by visiting your breakroom? Can you
relax there and find something to smile about? An effective break room will
allow you to break unproductive patterns and negative preoccupation. Let's
look at some ways you can enhance the impact of your break room by adding
some special touches.
- Decorate your break room to enhance its warm and relaxing impact. Can
you find a room with a window and a nice view? Comfortable sofas and chairs
are important. Add some plants and fresh flowers.
- Dedicate a bulletin board for rotating a variety of humorous items.
- Humorous posters.
- Favorite jokes and cartoons of staff members.
- Baby pictures of coworkers.
- A cartoon caption contest. Post a cartoon without a caption_people drop
suggested captions into the contest box. Award an inexpensive prize,
perhaps at a
- Have light-hearted reading material_books, magazines, newsletters_to
brighten a person's break time.
- Open a library of humor resources which people could check out and take
back to their office or home to enhance their self-development program.
- Provide some toys and games to stimulate creativity and encourage
- Place something unexpected in the room from time to time. Theme
decorations, unusual snacks, a goldfish bowl_be creative!
- Find a local massage therapist who will drop in for some ten-minute neck
and shoulder massages.
- Set aside a second break room, if you have the space. Having a place
dedicated for quiet time is a good idea_no phone, no TV, no conversation. It
provides a retreat for reading and meditation. If you don't have the space,
a tape recorder with headphones may help provide a quiet place.
Copyright 2006 by John Kinde
You may republish this article with the following credit line:
"Copyright by John Kinde, who is a humor specialist in the training and speaking business for over 30 years specializing in teambuilding, customer service and stress management. Free Special Reports: Show Me The Funny -- Tips for Adding Humor to Your Presentations and When They Don't Laugh -- What To Do When the Laughter Doesn't Come. Humor Power Tips newsletter, articles and blog are available at www.humorpower.com."